Thursday 17 March 2016

EVALUATION ACTIVITY 5 - How did you attract/address your audience?

  • I attracted my audience through my cover page, as it would be the first thing they would encounter. To do this I used an artistic, experimental image style with a graphic design background that wasn't conventional for a stereotypical magazine cover, however it fit my young alt audience because they like to stand out from the crowd, just like my cover page does.
  • The image and the page design is so different from the rest of the magazines on the stand, that I believe makes it even greater because it stands out just from being considered 'abnormal'. It may intrigue people because of its great differences and even if it doesn't cause someone to open it up and read all its contents, the cover page is definitely likely to grab attention of those walking past it from its bright colours and unique background designs. However like previously stated, young alts would definitely consider grabbing this magazine and reading it as they want to stand out from the mainstream crowd and experience something new and entertaining.
  • My audience - young alternatives - would be addressed directly by the model I have used for the cover page, through the pose choice and clothing. My model isn't looking straight at the camera like they would do in every other magazine, as I wanted my cover artist to reveal a hint of mystery within their artistry, and this draws young alternatives in as they want to discover what this artist may be hiding through their lack of eye connection with the audience. This alone creates a greater identity for the magazine and an even better bond with young alternatives, as they want to stand out, and they certainly will stand out if they grab this magazine and read it because the majority of the mainstream public wouldn't do so. 
  • Some of the artists I have featured on the side of the cover page certainly address and grab young alternatives into my magazine as well, as they may read the name of an artist that they like (all of the alternative genre) and might want to read further into the magazine simply for them. I have also made sure that I have chosen alternative artists that will attract different age ranged alternative audiences, for example, Halsey may bring in a younger audience whilst Lana Del Rey may bring in an older audience.


  • 1 comment:

    1. This one needs work: you need an accompanying document/longform post with this to explain exactly how each element addresses/attracts your target audience. Your short video lists possible ways, but you need to offer specific information about your mag does it. Focus on styling, mise-en-scene of images, camerawork and colour motifs.
      Also, explain how your group/audience are likely to purchase a magazine based on the merit of just one individual cover star.

      ReplyDelete