Tuesday 26 January 2016

Chosen Style Magazine Covers

After contemplating what kind of look and genre of music I wanted to focus on, I have decided to go for an alternative style. As alternative is a very broad genre and contains many sub-genres within it, it allows my magazine to reach out to a large audience, as it can feature many different types of artists, e.g. alternative pop artists such as Melanie Martinez and Halsey, alternative rock artists such as Paramore and The 1975, and alternative hip hop (combined with a combination of many other genres) artists such as Lana Del Rey.







I like these covers because they are quirky and incorporate bright and contrasting colours, some of which seem almost unordinary, fitting in with the 'alternative' theme, and use striking images or backgrounds which attract the reader's attention. A range of different fonts have been used which I think fit in with my chosen genre, and the amount of text on the pages differ, which will allow me to play around when creating my own magazine, as I can base my cover on any of these designs. I particularly like the M.I.A. cover of Clash magazine and will possibly choose a font along these lines and maybe a plain yet striking background of a similar style. I like the unique layout and placement of text used on both of the other Clash covers. The background image of the Fader covers are very artistic and colourful and gives the magazine a 'feminine' look about it, as well as its bubbly choice of fonts. i-D magazine also gives off a similar aspect towards the imagery and the fonts, therefore I believe a combination of all three of these magazines would work well when it comes to creating my own alternative magazine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment